When you LOVE doing something (such as crocheting) the idea of turning that hobby into something that can make money seems like a dream! Whether it be a full-time occupation or a potential side hustle, it’s important to understand the implications, inspirations and tips to consider.
– Being your own boss means that you get complete creative freedom! You’re able to focus on producing what you enjoy making and select your own range of crochet items to produce
– You’re able to set your own pricing, you can control your own costs, know how much time you’ve put in and set prices accordingly to the profit margins you want
– You can choose when you want to work, which is great if you like changing your hours or are a night-owl!
– Crocheting can take a long time, even if you begin with a stockpile of items to sell, replenishing orders or keeping on top of orders can be tricky and you have to be careful not to suck the fun out of the craft
– Building up an audience and securing your first order can take longer than you may expect, it takes time to build up trust when your products are new, although this is more relevant to starting an online shop etc. than at craft fairs
-You need to be cautious of the seasonal aspects of crocheting as most items tend to sell better in winter due to the cosy associations with the craft. However, if you use your imagination, you’ll find you can tailor your products for all seasons!
- Baby Fashion
- Wall Hangings
- Soap Bag
- Plant Hangers – see our crochet plant hanger blog post HERE
- Trinket Bowl
IMPORTANT – If you want to sell crochet items that are made using patterns that you have bought then you need to check that you’re allowed to do so!
Folksy is the largest UK marketplace for handmade! If you aren’t already familiar with folksy, they are a super cool company for crafters looking to make money from their makes with a real focus on building a genuine like-minded community.
“Folksy is the home of British craft – the place to buy handmade gifts and original artwork, sold directly by the artists and designers who have created them. Made with love, every purchase from Folksy supports a genuine craftsperson.”
Check out the current crochet items on sale on folksy.com for inspiration – Click HERE
- Local Craft Shows/Craft Fairs
- Amazon Handmade
- Start own online shop
Take custom orders to add value and increase income
Have a strong social media presence with sleek styled photographs for super ‘shareability’
Don’t rush starting out, take time to make sure your product and brand is perfected before going public
It’s good to have a mix of small/medium/big-ticket items to suit different budgets and customer types
HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOURSELF AND GOOD LUCK! x
Photo Credit – Sarah-Jayne Fragola (https://bellacococrochet.com/)